Awesome DIY PVC Flash Housing

I have said it before, and I will say it again: The best thing about running a lighting blog is the cool stuff you guys throw at me almost every day.

Exhibit "A" is this inexpensive DIY PVC water resistant ("water proof" does not really exist) housing for an SB-800. Or any small flash, really. It was posted in the comments of this post, which was either inspired cheapskate thinking, or a botched suicide attempt. Not sure which.

The guys over in this wakeboarding discussion board are kicking butt and taking names with water-resistant flashes.

I noticed that they are also using Ewa-Marine bags. Very expensive, though. I'll take the DIY PVC any day.

They are shooting lit shots of one wakeboarder, with another wakeboarder doing the honors by holding a nearby protected flash. Sync is courtesy a Pocket Wizard, which is also tucked inside the housing.

Whaddya wanna bet Chase Jarvis has four of these things built by the end of the week?

A bonus: Since the flash is wrapped in foam, it makes it pretty darn shock resistant, too. I could see using these for tandem rock climbing shots, just in case. Not that I am built for that sort of thing.

This is just pure ingenuity. Kudos to Strobist reader Hildoriffic for the idea, and the drawings, too.

Maybe he'll be nice enough to help us out in the comments with questions. I know I still have some. I have to either source the acrylic as a circular disc, or learn how to cut it.

UPDATE: Commenters to the rescue, once again. You can get the Acrylic here, and Hil says you have to get it a little big and cut it down for a good seal. Looking for a good source or the O-rings now.

Is this thing cool as a moose, or what? I want me one of these. Or maybe three.

I am going to let this design percolate in my head for a few days before I build it, to see if I can get ideas as to how to improve it.

First on the list: A small PVC tube glued along the side of the fixed cap to help the user aim the flash. That means you could run it at 105mm zoon and get better range with more accuracy and lower power. (Thus, shorter recycle times.)

Any other ideas on how to amp this thing?

(BTW, the cool night shot above is by Ryan Taylor, of PrimeProductions.com.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment